Saturday, March 12, 2011

Just Kids



I have just about finished Patti Smith's Memoir "Just Kids" but couldn't wait to write about it. It is not often that I find a biography that I simply can not put down but in Patti Smith's account of her life and her relationship with Robert Mapplethorpe I found one.  I loved this book, possibly because I am a sucker for the overly romanticized artist's struggle or possibly because of my infatuation with Patti Smith and her nonconformist air. Even though the book does not have the happiest of endings it left me feeling incredibly inspired; it makes me want to get off my butt and write, sing, draw, paint, travel, express....


Pictured above, Patti Smith and Robert Mapplethorpe. Two people who can only be described as soul mates if not in the conventional sense. First lovers and then friends; through each other they found their creative destinies and developed their artistic signatures. 

No comments:

Post a Comment