Wednesday, November 9, 2011

the midas touch



I absolutely fell head over heels in love with this gold leaf makeup/ jewelry featured on Oracle Fox's blog. I especially love the flakes in her eyelashes and the gold head band. It's got such a beautiful bohemian feel and its so easy and cheap to do. I wanted to give it a whirl and I am pretty happy with the results. 

Here is a mini tutorial:  

What You will need: 


Scissors, Spirit gum (usually used in theatre to keep wigs and fake facial hair on), gold leaf sheets and scotch tape.

Step 1: 
Use scotch tape to mask off where you want the gold leaf, this way you can be sure to get a straight line. 



Step 2: 
Cut gold leaf into strips...about 1 per ring



Step 3:
Apply spirit gum. wait a few seconds for it to get tacky. If you try to apply the gold too soon it won't stick. Once it feels tacky press the gold leaf onto the spirit gum and hold with pressure. You don't need to rush, once the spirit gum gets sticky it stays that way for a fairly long time.




Step 4:
Repeat until your gold looks solid




Finished Product:


I used this technique over halloween over my eyes, forehead and collarbone and I have to say it looked pretty sweet (although it is hard to see in the picture below)

No comments:

Post a Comment